loading...

Technology And Insurance Car

The car is a 1973.5 911T and this is its story. I’ve owned this car for twenty-six years. A friend owned it for a few years before me and I always told him that I would buy it one day when decided to sell it. Then one afternoon in 1990 I got a call. “I’m bringing your 911 over – get your checkbook out.”

At the time I was working with European Car magazine. Greg Brown and I decided that this 911 should become a magazine project car. Over the next several years I wrote a series of articles and participated in a number of driving events with the car. I even talked Derek Bell into testing the car for me once we finished all the modifications. 

In the past twenty-six years this 911 has been both a daily driver and a track car. This car has never been stock since I’ve owned it. One of the early owners of this car removed the CIS fuel injection system. I have no intention of finding a replacement CIS. Life is too short for that. The Webers work just fine and the car has a lot of low-end torque. I’m a big fan of low-end torque. 

When I was using this 911 as a magazine project car the emphasis was on increasing the performance of the car with aftermarket parts. It worked. I still have a box of Porsche Club of America trophies someplace out in the garage. 

Today the car is a street car. It got to the point where I stopped running competitive events and the car was just very uncomfortable on the street. I had crossed the dual-purpose line. I went too far in one direction. 

The past year has been one of backing up. It’s now all about enjoying the car on trips and road tours. The ride is much softer and I’m enjoying the car more. I’m also doing things to the interior and fixing some of the rust. I think that all of this may be a sign that I’m getting a little older. It’s also a sign that the cars running HPDEs today are blindingly fast and all I do on the track is point cars by me.